Christmas & WTB&TS
Celebration of Christmas by the Watch Tower Organization in 1898
Zion’s Watchtower and Herald of Christ’s Presence, the precursor to the Watch Tower Magazine
Jehovah’s Witnesses were celebrating Christmas at the time; scroll down to read the article, Unto You is Born … a Savior.
There is much to observe on this cover from December 15, 1898.
Be sure to also note the following:
- Cross and crown in upper left hand corner
- Soldier (knight) imagery in the upper right hand corner
- “… and Herald of Christ’s Presence” as the subtitle because Christ was thought to have returned in 1874
- Article, “Unto You is Born … a Savior” in lower right “Contents” reproduced below
“Unto You is Born … a Savior” article:
Note the following in the continuation of this article. How the doctrine of the early Watch Tower is so different than the doctrine of today!
- Column 1: Jesus is known as the Everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6)
- Column 2, top: Jesus is far above the angels (remember that Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that he is now Michael the Archangel)
- Column 2, middle: Not only is Jesus above angels, he shares “the Father’s throne and nature in glory.”
- Column 2, bottom: Salvation comes through Jesus and the gospel “is the power of God unto salvation, to everyone who believeth,” rather than through “Jehovah’s spirit-directed organization.”