We have begun to post a number of e-letters Make Sure Ministries has received from David Henke, founder of Watchman Fellowship, Inc., an apologetics ministry, on a variety of subjects. They will post on Tuesdays into the foreseeable future. As always, we appreciate your comments. Please consider clicking on the link following this blog to learn more about Watchman Fellowship and what they have to offer. E-letters have been slightly edited for clarity.
December 11, 2020 E-letter
I wrote a tract decades ago with questions for Jehovah’s Witnesses. They are completely unanswerable within the Watchtower’s doctrinal beliefs.
You can ask these questions of a JW and your conversation can end there. A JW will give you words back but those words will be a dodge, an answer that misses the point of the question, or, an offer to get back with you later.
It doesn’t matter at this point because now the question is planted in his mind and he will need an answer for himself.
Such questions as these that follow are best asked of someone you see regularly. A neighbor, someone at your work, or a family member. Ask the question in a “help me understand” fashion so you don’t put them on the defensive.
You could ask a question a week and after a couple weeks they will want to avoid you. That means they have no answer. So, let’s start.
Did Jehovah Only Create One Thing, Jesus?
The Watchtower Society teaches that Jesus is a creature. They do not believe He is eternal, almighty, or worthy of worship. They believe He is the first creature Jehovah created and then through him all “other” things were created.
1) Why do Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that Jehovah directly created ONLY ONE THING, Michael the Archangel (aka Jesus), and that Michael then created all OTHER things (United in Worship, page 29)?
- Does this not conflict with Daniel 10:13 where Michael is called “one of” the chief princes?
- Does it not conflict with John 1:3 where it says “…without him (Jesus) was not ANYTHING made that was made?” Jehovah’s Witnesses do teach that Jesus (Michael) was “made.”
- Does it not also conflict with Isaiah 44:24 where Jehovah said, “I am the LORD that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself?”
- Has not this teaching caused the Watchtower to tamper with God’s Word at Colossians 1:16, 17 by adding the word “other” four times to their New World Translation so that it says “…by means of him (Jesus) all [other] things were created…?”
- Does John 20:28 say in any Greek/English Interlinear that Jesus is “the God” of Thomas? “And Thomas answered and said unto him, ‘My Lord and my God.”
In the Greek Thomas says, “Ho kurios mou kai ho theos mou.” Literally translated it says, “The lord of me and the God of me.”
Is it true worship that is being rendered to Jehovah in Revelation 4:9-11? Isn’t it the same kind of worship that is being rendered to Jehovah AND Jesus in Revelation 5:11-14? Note the words repeated in both passages.
Revelation 4:9-11 – “And when those beasts give glory and honor and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, the four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, ‘Thou are worthy, O Lord, (God the Father, or Jehovah) to receive glory and honour and power; for thou hast created all things and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”
Revelation 5:12, 13 – “… Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches, and wisdom and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, ‘Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.’”
(Note: The Watchtower teaches that Jesus, who they say is one and same with Michael the Archangel, is a creature and this verse says every creature, therefore Jesus cannot be a creature or he would be worshipping himself.)
Copyright © 2019 Watchman Fellowship, All rights reserved. Used by permission of David Henke.
Email: [email protected]